By Request: George Herbert's "Holy Communion"

In my sermon for the Seventh Sunday after the Epiphany, I quoted George Herbert's Poem on the Holy Communion.  Several asked for the complete version, which I am supplying here:














NOt in rich furniture, or fine aray,
                     Nor in a wedge of gold,
                     Thou, who for me wast sold,
           To me dost now thy self convey;
For so thou should’st without me still have been,
                     Leaving within me sinne:

But by the way of nourishment and strength
                     Thou creep’st into my breast;
                     Making thy way my rest,
           And thy small quantities my length;
Which spread their forces into every part,
                     Meeting sinnes force and art.

Yet can these not get over to my soul,
                     Leaping the wall that parts
                     Our souls and fleshy hearts;
           But as th’ outworks, they may controll
My rebel-flesh, and carrying thy name,
                     Affright both sinne and shame.

Onley thy grace, which with these elements comes,
                     Knoweth the ready way,
                     And hath the privie key,
           Op’ning the souls most subtile rooms;
While those to spirits refin’d, at doore attend
                     Dispatches from their friend.


Give me my captive soul, or take
              My bodie also thither.
Another lift like this will make
              Them both to be together.

Before that sinne turn’d flesh to stone,
              And all our lump to leaven;
A fervent sigh might well have blown
              Our innocent earth to heaven.

For sure when Adam did not know
              To sinne, or sinne to smother;
He might to heav’n from Paradise go,
              As from  one room t’another.

Thou hast restor’d us to  this ease
              By this thy heav’nly bloud;
Which I can go to, when I please,
              And leave th’earth to their food.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Sunday after Pentecost, Proper 5, 6 June 2021

The Day of Pentecost, Whitsunday, 23 May 2021

The Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 19, 11 September 2011